Chief Medical Officer
From within the Office of the Commissioner, the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) oversees and directs clinical strategies and clinical policies for DBHIDS, serving as the Department’s representative and liaison to Philadelphia’s provider community. The CMO is responsible for the alignment, coordination, and integration of clinical initiatives, ensuring clinically sound approaches built upon evidence-based practices. Its work promotes innovation and expands gold standard care.
To ensure easy access and the highest quality of services to all Philadelphia residents with diverse needs, the Chief Medical Officer serves the six divisions of DBHIDS through collaborative and synergistic strategies. The CMO works to identify new ways to improve efficiencies and effectiveness between the Department and clinical service providers. The CMO:
- Ensures clinical best practices are implemented to guide DBHIDS in its population health approach
- Coordinates efforts of the Philadelphia Suicide Prevention Task Force as it works toward zero suicides in the city
- Manages health and behavioral health integration, prevention, and wellness
- Administers health promotions to support and improve the mental health and well-being of all Philadelphians
- Provides oversight and support for the acute services division that manages behavioral health crises