Behavioral Health Justice Related Services
The Behavioral Health and Justice-Related Services (BHJRS) mission is to address behavioral health and justice-related issues that impact the individuals served by DBHIDS. BHJRS seeks to reduce stigma, increase behavioral health awareness across systems, strengthen community and cross-system capacity, support recovery and resilience, and increase early intervention and access to behavioral health services.
BHJRS Goals include:
- Improve communication and collaboration internally (DBHIDS) and externally (e.g., CJAB, PPS, Philadelphia Court, PPD).
- Reduction of justice involvement among individuals with behavioral health needs.
- Improvement of treatment outcomes in the community for people reentering from incarceration.
- Improvement of making a successful recovery in the community.
- Decreasing criminal recidivism.
Post-Arrest Crisis Screener (PACS), placed in the Northwest Division, screens arrestees for symptoms of suicidal ideation or serious mental illness, drug and alcohol needs and co-occurring challenges to connect them with behavioral health services.
Forensic Peer Specialist (FPS) Initiative -The FPS Coordinator is a certified peer specialist that currently works with individuals with behavioral health needs and criminal justice involvement.
First Judicial District Mental Health Court serves as a specialized reentry court designed to decrease length of incarceration for nonviolent offenders with mental illnesses, including individuals with co-occurring substance use disorders.
PA Jail Diversion and Trauma Recovery Program for Veterans provides a Veterans Court that has enhanced and expanded the partnership between the DBHIDS with the Philadelphia VA. A Veterans Jail Diversion Coordinator and Veteran Forensic Peer Specialist assist VA and Non-VA eligible veterans to link to needed behavioral health services and supports.
Connect with BHJRS Veteran Initiatives
- Leadership Team
- Community Behavioral Health (CBH)
- Communications Office
- Evidence-based Practice and Innovation Center (EPIC)
- Fiscal Division
- Intellectual disAbility Services (IDS)
- Management Services Division
- Network Improvement and Accountability Collaborative (NIAC)
- Office of Addiction Services
- Office of Mental Health (OMH)
- Contracts & Budgeting
- Behavioral Health Crisis Intervention Services
- Crisis Intervention Team Training (CIT)
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Coordinated Consumer Services (CCS)
- Transitions, Integration and Partnerships (TIP)
- Southeast Regional Planning and Implementation
- Office of the Chief Information Officer
- Office of the Chief Medical Officer
- Strategic Planning and Innovation Division
- Grants Opportunities
- DBHIDS Study Tours